Monday, September 18, 2006

Riding a subway during 倒扁

This past Friday, on 9/15, I had the unfortunate chance to ride the subway at around 6:30PM. I got on at Taipei Main Station, which is busy to begin with, since it is a main transfer station. However, Friday happened to be the day that the 倒扁 activities extended beyond the usual Ketagalan Boulevard, to Taipei Main Station. This made it busy to the point of me almost unable to get off the escalator and being stuck in a sea of red fight-the-power people. The so far week-long demonstrations have clearly impacted public transportation in Taiwan; this was also shown by the city government announcing extended subway operation times and subway cars for 9/16. When I finally got on a train (waited for 3), the odor was so repulsive that I almost opted out for a cab. I didn't, cuz it would've been too much trouble to fight my way back out. The smell was like a concentrated mis of Taiwanese high-school guys plus homeless (if you live in TW, you know what I mean about the high-school guy smell). I assume that the l'odeur was due to the much-reported fact that the protestors have not had the luxury of bathing while on-site at Ketagalan Boulevard (Notable: Some love-motels have offered up free busing and showering to protestors - they've advertised this with hot lady-folk holding signage).
9/19 update regarding the Taipei Main Station rallies: "Minister slams Ma's handling of station rally"

That reminds me, that all meals for protestors are provided for through donations or funding by the 倒扁 organizers. I saw through the media that much of this is going to waste, as greedy people are taking more than they can consume (and, there is so much food going around). Unfortunately, this food could be better put to use in feeding the homeless people in the country. That also reminds me that how many 100's of 1000's (theoretically 1Mln, but some gave over 100NTD) of Taiwanese donated >=100NTD to the 倒扁 fund (totalling 100Mln. NTD at end of August); couldn't this have gone to the poor, or to be injected into the economy that everyone is displeased with? Those that have opted to ditch work for the week to protest have also played their part in disrupting the economy. I don't think any figures have been released, but if 150,000 (assume 1/2 of 300,000) people decide not to go to work for a week, there should be an impact on the economy. Next week, the festivities will continue, and rumor has it that some Banks may join in by striking. That would really be a great boost to the economy.

No comments: